28. Murderer narrates. Conversation between murderer and Enishte about the religious danger of representative art. Emotional whiplash— the murderer is all over the place. He almost murders Enishte, he confesses to killing Elegant.
29. Uncle’s perspective again. He’s afraid. Talks of the loneliness of genius, of art and Islam. Murderer says there is evil (the Devil?) inside him that inspires & terrifies. Anonymity and style (murder & art). Murderer demands praise of his style, which Enishte supplies. Enishte describes the impermanence of art. The murderer attacks Enishte with the ink pot. Enishte dies.
30. Shekure narrates, comes home from meeting Black, finds her father’s body. When Hayriye and children return home, she tells them he is ill. They wash his body.
31. I am red.
32. Shekure calls Black to meet her and sets out her demands: most importantly, no sex until villain is caught and book is done. Plans how to extract herself from her marriage and marry Black. Funny intelligent/beautiful.
33. Black narrates. Prepares for the wedding, gruesome ceremony in the house with smell of decay.
34. Shekure, wedding night, S stays with children. Hasan confronts Black and Shekure, suspects murder of Enishte. Black and Hasan threaten each other with the law and torture.
35. Horse. Opposing perspective on individuality and art. Trying to paint what god perceives, not what they see, puts them in the place of god. The individuality is necessary. Frankish masters aren’t sacrilegious, but rather in keeping with the faith.
36. Black. Reports the death of Enishte to the Sultan’s treasurer. Confesses all, concealed time of death, work to get Shekure divorced, quick marriage. Murder will remain a secret, Black may have implicated himself.
37. Uncle (dead), discussed his funeral. Dead soul talks to Allah, confesses/worries about Frankish art. East and west belong to me. Souls without bodies in heaven, bodies without souls in life.
38. Osman. Interview with Treasurer, is informed of what’s going on with the sultan’s book, torture is to be used on the miniaturists and Black, the Sultan comes in.
39. Esther. Sympathy with Shekure, visit to Kalbiye, widow of Elegant.
40. Black. Taken to the palace for torture, head put in a vise, then released.
41. Osman narrates, interview with Black, looking at pictures to determine who painted what. Only 3 main miniaturists: Olive, Butterfly, Stork. Courtesan method (ears).
Olive, Velijean: trees, faces look Chinese (old/mongol tradition); messy work area.
Butterfly, Hasan Chelebi. Beautiful as a boy. Excellent use of color. Hasn’t had the loss of faith. Lacks depth, but much joy. Wants to succeed Osman.
Stork, Sinning Painter Mustafa Chelabi. Signs his work.
42. Black and Osman compare horses with the horse found on Elegant’s corpse.
43-45. Each draw horses.